Monday, August 04, 2008

Happy August!

Hi folks! Long time no blogging. Sorry! These past 2 weeks have been crazy, but fun. Hubby celebrated the big 4-0 last week and it's been what seems like party after party! When the actual day came, I think he was pretty much over it :)

Party #1 was a surprise party (CLAMBAKE!) down in MA that I organized with some old friend's of Frank's. Had a great time, despite the 98 degree day - thankfully they had a pool!
(picture courtesy of Sue)

Party #2 was the next day - hosted by our NH friends. The best part of this all was that he really didn't have a clue! I think it'll rank up there as one as his favorite birthdays.... it better! After that w/e of partying, my mom and sister-in-law (with her kids) came to visit for a few days, then we headed down to the Jersey shore for a bit to visit with my high school friends. Phew.... Busy!

I've also been working a bit around the house when I can - it's REALLY hard these days to get anything done when Ben is awake - he's almost 10 months old and a maniac. The non-stop kind of maniac that I've heard boys can be. Keeps me on my toes!

Here's my older helper (I repainted the front door and the door sides from dark green to black - muuuuuuch better).

Have also been working on Syd and Ben's room a little to help define their areas. They share the room - Syd in a bed and Ben in a crib. So far, so good.



I saw the idea for the bird mural in the book LAST- MINUTE PATCHWORK and QUILTED GIFTS (if you haven't checked it out, you really should - it's fantastic). The pattern for the birds calls for it to be hand appliqued. Okay - I'm a mom with 2 little kids and I don't have enough time to get my hair cut let alone applique. So, I just used double-sided fusible webbing and top-stitched it. I had an old corkboard and remnant fleece that I used to mount it. Pretty easy project. I think I will go back and make the birds all one color though... I think the silhouette effect would look better. Hindsight...

Speaking of birds, check these cuties out!!!


My crafty sister-in-law Sue made these (she made them for Ben's baptism in June - what a fantastic gift!) and I'm in love . I want them all over the house. Seriously.
If you'd like to make them, CLICK HERE for the tutorial by SPOOL SEWING. Beware - I've heard they are pretty addictive!

Have you tried Sandi Henderson's adorable Mariposa Applique pattern (the PDF link can be found at her right side-bar)? I finally did (a quick and easy birthday gift) and really enjoyed it - so much that I cut out 10 more sets to make for all of my little girl friends out there. Just need to find the time to make them all...


Hmm... What else... AH! I got a new toy! A snap setter! Been eyeing one of those bad boys for a while, and after having enough customer requests for things that would be perfect with snaps, I decided to bite the bullet and get one. So happy that I did! I now add snaps to my wet bag straps (so you can hang them off the stroller, etc), and was able to make a double wet-bag. Pretty cool. Also looking to make a new wet bag / changing pad combo.... stay tuned!


More news on the way - don't want to bore you all too much :) Stacy and I did decide to extend the skirt-sew along to the end of August (8/31), so if you wanted to participate, you still can! Check out the entries so far - there's some cute ones!

Before I go... I did find this funny ad in the paper the other day - if only my nails were a serious daily concern...







8 comments:

Adrienne said...

She's baaa-aaack! Wow - sounds like so much fun. DH made me swear not to throw him a 40th party ... but he didnt' for a 41st ... hmmmm ... I've never seen that snap setter before. Mine stinks! I love the bird picture you did for Syd - It's perfect! I'm still lusting for that quilt ;-)

Anonymous said...

You have been busy!!!! I love what you've been up to, though... and those birds are adorable!

Joy said...

The mural looks GREAT! What a fun touch to the room. Also happy snap setter to you! How fun! Lastly the ad is hilarious! I would have to "save" my nails from a lot worse to be concerned about saving them from the dishes! Way to funny! ;)

Anonymous said...

You mural is so cute! I love birds!
hummm....I am not laughting about that nail saver...I wish I had them. I am giving up fixing mine for a while (for me almost a sin, since it was my time to relax - I take care of them on my own).
That pad would not change the fact that I must wash my hands (my pleasure) a gazillion times a day, not counting endless alcohol gel pumps!
No I am not a germophobic...just careful.

Emily Cole said...

I love my snap setter! Well worth the money - especially when I was making diapers and covers! I love those birds too. Your little birdy mural is cute too. I love the colors in the room!

Anonymous said...

A really nice room. A little quick tip for applique instead of topstiching use a stich that looks like blanket stitch if your machine has it makes for the perfect finish and can almost look like it was done by hand.

Anonymous said...

Very cute T-shirt. And the bird mural turned out well, I think.

Anonymous said...

these are the kind of birds I could enjoy. Deathly afraid of real birds - a phobia I cannot let go. saw the Alfred Hitchcock "The Birds" thriller when I was way too young, freaked and cried, and my weird parents kept me in the theatre!???? I even have a bird decorated bath but if a real bird is nearby I'm a jittery mess.

Enjoying your blog