Why, prey tell?
They are the next project for our sew-along! Stacy and I are both in major need of some post-baby skirts (she *just* had Easton, and I was pregnant last summer... the summer before that had just had Sydney... you get the picture) and thought this was the perfect summer project for us all! It doesn't matter what pattern you use - I'm going to try Amy Butler's Barcelona Skirts (in the same fabric as the cover... so unoriginal, but I'm a sucker for the Seagreen Coriander).
Two other great patterns are the CUTE SKIRTS pattern and HIP SKIRTS pattern by Favorite Things. I made the following 2 skirts last year for friends and used the CUTE SKIRTS pattern for some basic pattern ideas and construction.
The Sew-Along will start on Monday, June 16th and run until July 31st (a good, solid 6 weeks!). Lots of time for pattern and fabric selection :)
Signing up for the sew-along is super easy! Sign into FLICKR and go to the GROUPS heading. Type in Monkey Foot Designs and Stacy Sews Sew-Along under the SEARCH button to the right (located under "Find a Group). When our group comes up, you'll see "JOIN?" a few times on the page - click on that and then follow the prompts to join. Once you have a picture to share, just add it to our group (see THIS LINK for instructions). Also, please feel free to post any questions to see if we or other group members can help. I found that this was really helpful with the Sophia Bag! We are up to 57 members and we hope to keep growing :)
Now, I didn't forget that Lisa tagged me what seems like forever ago... here's her rules: link back to the person who tagged you, post these rules on your blog, share five unimportant things about yourself and tag three people at the end of your entry. Here we go!
1) We do not have a microwave. We *had* one, but it died a couple of months ago. I thought about what we really use it for... heating up baby food and heating up coffee. Sure, the occasional left-over might get thrown in there, but not enough to make it count. I thought we'd try and make a go of it without it, and I really don't miss it! I let Ben's food defrost on the counter or in the fridge, and I'd so much rather have a fresh pot of coffee any day! The best part is having more room on the counter!
2) I make ~ 90% of my baby food (hence the need for thawing - I do the ice cube tray thing to get perfect portions). It's really not hard at all and is so much cheaper (except for pears and peaches - those are a wash). If you haven't tried to, but want to, here's a great link to start: http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/
3) When I was in 8th grade, I qualified to go to the National Cross Country Championships... they took the top 20 finishers and I was #20, but only because the girl in front of me tripped and sprained her ankle. I still feel awful about that.
4) I do a crazy-good impression of Roger Rabbit saying "PLEEEEEASE EDDIE!". My trick is my big lips. It's not pretty to watch, but it's good for a laugh!
5) I started sewing ~ 5 and a half years ago. Wanted to make some things for my wedding (gifts, etc.) to try and cut costs, and to put more of a personal touch to the whole affair. I never in a million years thought that I'd love it as much as I do! The sad thing is that I had the machine lying around for a few years (Mom bought it for me so I could do some hemming, etc.) before I ever even opened it. I seriously had to go to a one night class at the Boston's Adult School to learn how to thread it!
I'm going to tag Em, Dalia, and Bekah! Have fun & let me know when you post!